[MLton-devel] porting to PowerPC

Suresh Jagannathan suresh@cs.purdue.edu
Thu, 15 May 2003 09:44:18 -0500

On Wednesday 14 May 2003 06:58 pm, Stephen Weeks wrote:
> > There is significant interest here in porting MLton to
> > the PowerPC.  There's currently ongoing work on
> > VM design and interoperability taking place on
> > PowerPC platforms (mostly in Java right now), but MLton
> > has been advocated as an alternative research vehicle
> > in this space.
>
> Cool.  Could you explain a little more how MLton fits in here?  Is the
> idea to build tools with MLton, to target MLton to a new VM, to make
> it interoperable with Java, or just to make MLton run on PowerPC?

There have been a number of ideas floated, but the ones most
likely to gain traction are (a) VM research on interoperability
between Java and MLton, and (b) compiler infrastructure work
using MLton.  There's already a significant investment in the PowerPC
within the department,  and that's where a lot of VM development work is
currently taking place.

I think it would be great if you could help supervise a student on
this port, as this would be an ideal way to get local expertise on
the compiler internals.

The Motorola connection is still evolving -- they're interested in
providing an equipment grant, but would like to see examples of
projects that could beneft from such a grant.  Compiler research
in MLton, especially on 64-bit platforms, seemed like an obvious
candidate.