[MLton] cvs commit: world no longer contains a preprocessed basis library

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 08:58:17 -0800

> Is there a point to having world.mlton anymore?  It's now only 800K, and
> as best I can make out, all it really does is initialize globals.  And
> considering that it takes all of .07 seconds on my 500MHz machine to
> export the world file, it certainly isn't a big impact on compile times.

The only point of world.mlton, as far as I know, is that those
initialization of globals record the machine MLton was built on and
the date of the build.  It seemed easier to make the smaller change of
just eliminating the library without changing the world
infrastructure.  I'm open to suggestions on what to do to eliminate
the world and put that information somewhere else, but the current use
doesn't seem so bad to me.