[MLton-devel] Re: MLton question

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:26:56 -0700

> So far, I have not been able to get MLton to compile using SML/NJ.
> When I try
>
> 	make LEX=ml-lex nj-mlton
>
> I get

>      make[1]: mlton: Command not found
>      make[1]: mlton: Command not found
>      rm -f front-end/ml.lex.sml
>      mllex front-end/ml.lex
>      make[1]: mllex: Command not found
>      make[1]: *** [front-end/ml.lex.sml] Error 127
>      make: *** [nj-mlton] Error 2

The Makefile does not know about the LEX variable, and so is trying to
run mllex, not ml-lex.  The easiest way to fix this is to install a
binary MLton package, which will have the needed mllex and mlyacc.
Once you have those, hopefully make and make nj-mlton will work.

> and when I tried CM.make "mlton.cm"

Use CM.make "sources.cm"

> The notes about the sparc implementation mention that binutils is
> required.  Why is that?

binutils has the linker.