[MLton-devel] Re: MLton question

John Reppy jhr@cs.uchicago.edu
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 14:42:55 -0500

On Friday, October 3, 2003, at 02:26  PM, Stephen Weeks wrote:

>> So far, I have not been able to get MLton to compile using SML/NJ.
>> When I try
>>
>> 	make LEX=ml-lex nj-mlton
>>
>> I get

>>      make[1]: mlton: Command not found
>>      make[1]: mlton: Command not found
>>      rm -f front-end/ml.lex.sml
>>      mllex front-end/ml.lex
>>      make[1]: mllex: Command not found
>>      make[1]: *** [front-end/ml.lex.sml] Error 127
>>      make: *** [nj-mlton] Error 2
>
> The Makefile does not know about the LEX variable, and so is trying to
> run mllex, not ml-lex.  The easiest way to fix this is to install a
> binary MLton package, which will have the needed mllex and mlyacc.
> Once you have those, hopefully make and make nj-mlton will work.

The Makefile has the line

	LEX = mllex

in it, but I think that it doesn't get passed to the recursive calls.

I'm trying to compile it on a Mac, so using a binary package is not an
option.

>> and when I tried CM.make "mlton.cm"
>
> Use CM.make "sources.cm"

I tried that too, but there is a conflict with INT_INT being imported
from two
sources (the SML/NJ basis and also from
lib/mlton-stubs-in-smlnj/int-inf.sig.

>> The notes about the sparc implementation mention that binutils is
>> required.  Why is that?
>
> binutils has the linker.

But you are not doing anything beyond what you get with "gcc -o"?

	- John