[MLton] A question about MLton.Process.create & Unix.streams_of

John Gerard Malecki John Gerard Malecki <johnm@artisan.com>
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 06:58:20 -0800

Stephen Weeks wrote (2004-12-04T23:15:03-0800):

 > > I see that MLton.Process.create is a full unix process interface but
 > > the documentation seems to indicate that it no longer exists (and
 > > that only the spawn functions are available).
 >
 > Actually, it is quite the opposite.  We recently added, not removed,
 > Mlton.Process.create.  I updated the docs to reflect this.  Let us
 > know if it's still unclear.

For some deep psychological reason I presumed that the info after
"Changes since the last public release" were the old stuff and the new
stuff was at the head of the documentation.

 > > I have a program that I'd like to rewrite using CML but to be useful
 > > it must capture stderr.  What to do?
 >
 > If you're running on a Unixish machine, you can use the Posix
 > structure of the basis library.  Or, you can build MLton from the CVS
 > and use the new MLton.Process.create.

Sorry for the noise.  I finally found documentation for that structure
at http://www.standardml.org/Basis/.  It looks like there is a book
about the SML basis library.

Sorry about the noise.  It like now that I've figure out how to read
the documentation that I'll be able to get by.

-cheers