[MLton] MLton wiki

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:40:55 -0700

> I don't know.  I think something as simple as changing the color of the
> banner would be noticeable, but not glaring.

The problem is that someone may not know that one color (or whatever)
means one thing and another color means something else.  We can't
expect that all visitors to the site will go through the home page and
read our guide to what the pages mean.  And even experienced users can
make mistakes or not notice.  Observe that most users in the know
ignore the little lock icon at the bottom of their browser window.

> > 	http://wiki.mlton.org/AccessControl
>
> This seems a bit limiting, for all pages.  I like Dan's policy, which
> essentially encourages official MLton pages and un-official MLton pages.
> We should strive to keep the official pages to a minimum.

This still suffers from the problem that Chris originally mentioned
and I expanded on.  Someone can create a page that looks enough like a
"Download" page and some unsuspecting visitor may not notice the
difference.  Given that people expect to download files from the MLton
web site, I don't see any way around this.

I guess I don't see what it buys you to make a visual distinction
between "official" and "unofficial" pages.  The tradeoff is whether we
want to allow arbitrary users to create content (and mischief) or
restrict who can create content (and mischief).  Visual distinctions
don't change that significantly in my opinion.  I'm still not sure on
which side of the tradeoff I lie though.

In favor of letting anyone create content, I point out that the
MoinMoin download page allows editing by anyone.