[MLton] Darwin/PPC changes

Filip Pizlo pizlo@purdue.edu
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 19:06:36 -0500 (EST)

> 1. I think your solution to the make/gmake issue was overkill.  Rather
> than putting the knowledge about whether to use gmake or make in lots
> of places and modifying lots of Makefiles to pass along $(MAKE), it
> seems better to have a single shell script that invokes make or gmake
> as appropriate.  Right now, I have such a script in my personal bin/
> directory, but perhaps it makes sense to move it to mlton/bin/ and
> make sure that is on the PATH in our Makefiles and scripts.  Does
> anyone have any objections to this solution, or better ideas?

I think this is reasonable.

> 2. Rather than adding -DMLton_Darwin whenever we call gcc, I added a
> single directive to the top of platform.h to define __Darwin__.
>
> #if (defined (__APPLE_CC__))
> #define __Darwin__
> #endif
>
> Hopefully this (or some other similarly easy solution) works.

Ah, I didn't know about the __APPLE_CC__ macro.  That's useful. -)

> 3. When building the binary tgz for distribution, should I put stuff
> in /usr or /usr/local?

I vote for /usr, because /usr/local/bin isn't in the $PATH on a default
install.

> 4. I see that you left time profiling disabled in main.fun, but that
> you did update the appropriate places in gc.c to handle it.  Should it
> be enabled in main.fun?

I'm not sure which changes in main.fun you are referring to.

That said, looking over my patch, I did find one change in main.fun that I
did not intend to have end up in CVS:  on line 76, there is a debugging
print statement that says "fromString returned NONE" that shouldn't really
be there!

> 5. I will look into the real.sml regression soon.  The fix will
> probably be to disable some of the tests, since it is just a low-order
> bits problem.

OK.

> 6. I didn't have any speed issues like you did.  It takes about 25
> minutes to self compile on my 1.8GHz G5 with 1.5G RAM.  Here is the
> log.

Like I said, the slowness was only on my G4 with 1GB of RAM.  But I will
try it again.

--
Filip Pizlo
http://bocks.psych.purdue.edu/