[MLton] can mlbasis rename the top-level?

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 06:45:57 -0400 (EDT)

>> So, you would only need to worry about comments (which are quite easy
>> to handle, so I see no point in not doing so).
>
> Again I miss the problem with comments in strings.  :-(
>
> I am beginning to see Matthew's point.  One should either completely
> understand the enclosed language or should not try to understand it at
> all.  Any half-way point is likely to be wrong or confusing, since it
> won't be the full language.

Yes, that's a much more concise way of putting my opinion.

> The only thing this doesn't resolve to my mind is whether to use {<{
> }>}, or _sml _end, or other tokens not alllowed in SML.

My opinion is that _sml _end is that a) the use of _ isn't consistent
with our other uses to inicate a non-standard primitive; and b) they are
too close to "normal" keywords, that, to me, they seem more out of place
than symbolic delimiters.

I'm not wedded to {<{ }>} and would be happy to hear other suggestions.