[MLton] can mlbasis rename the top-level?

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 23:10:41 -0700

> So, you would only need to worry about comments (which are quite easy
> to handle, so I see no point in not doing so).

Again I miss the problem with comments in strings.  :-(

I am beginning to see Matthew's point.  One should either completely
understand the enclosed language or should not try to understand it at
all.  Any half-way point is likely to be wrong or confusing, since it
won't be the full language.  And, since full integration of SML and
MLB is at this point quite challenging, we should really go for the
incredibly simple approach of not understanding anything.  That is,
here-document style, with the end-of-sml indicator starting at the
beginning of a line (possibly with preceeding whitespace).  This
places a slight restriction on the enclosed SML code, namely that the
end-of-sml indicator not appear within a comment at the beginning of a
line, but that is exceedingly minor.

The only thing this doesn't resolve to my mind is whether to use {<{
}>}, or _sml _end, or other tokens not alllowed in SML.