[MLton] Re: Hurd on l4 / ConcurrentML

Guillaume FORTAINE guillaume.fortaine@wanadoo.fr
Thu Aug 3 23:02:50 PDT 2006

Stephen Weeks wrote:
>> Hello Mr Weeks,
>>

> Hi Guillaume.  I'm not sure who Mr Shao is?  I'm Stephen Weeks (see
> sweeks.com).  In any case, I do work on the MLton SML compiler, so
> your email is directed to a reasonable place.  Although, it might more
> reasonably be directed to MLton@mlton.org rather than me personally.
>

>> I'm a French student in computing science and I'm interested in your
>> knowledge in ML Language. We plan to build a new OS design using the
>> Alice  langage ( http://www.ps.uni-sb.de/alice/
>> http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Hurd/NextHurd ).
>>

> Sounds interesting.
>

>> I have one question for you, please :
>>
>> How can we implement a concurrentML model based on asynchronous message
>> passing ?
>>
>> http://mlton.org/ConcurrentML
>>

> I'm not quite sure I understand your question.  Do you want to
> implement a CML-like system in C++?  I'm afraid I'm not much help with
> C++ issues.  Although, you might find interesting a recent discussion
> we had on the MLton-user mailing list about a library for asynchronous
> programming
>
>   http://mlton.org/pipermail/mlton-user/2006-July/000856.html
>
> That library was described in SML, but could be retargeted to other
> languages.
>

> Please feel free to redirect your questions to the MLton list, where a
> wider audience will read them and you will have a better chance at
> getting an answer.

Hello Mr Weeks ( sorry for the mistake :-) )

Alice is based on Standard ML with concurrency and constraint logic (
could be interesting for security by e.g. vfiasco or l4.sec).

ConcurrentML is based on synchronous message passing, but we want to
have an asynchronous IPC ( inter process communication )

Your post is very interesting, thank you.

We want to build the whole kernel in Alice / Standard ML langage. Maybe
with good reengineering software tools (
http://www.program-transformation.org ) could we built all the base
system on Alice.

My first proposal was C++ as the main langage, but I believe we need a
more powerful one ;-) ! => a new OS design, need a new langage, c is for
unix, it's time to move ... ;-) !

Do you know llvm ( http://llvm.org ) ?

Do you think is it possible to have a Standard ML front-end for llvm ?

Thank you for your response,

Best regards,

Guillaume FORTAINE