[MLton] CommandLine_commandName has no gotoInfo property

Daniel Harvey dharvey@cc.gatech.edu
Fri Aug 4 16:37:25 PDT 2006

>> For mllex we get the error "CommandLine_commandName has no gotoInfo
>> property". This appears to be a part of the x86 code generation
>> phase and we were wondering what kind of error this would
>> indicate. The way our transform works is we take SXML to our CPS
>> representation, and then our CPS back to MLton's SSA. When we
>> compile mllex, it successfully gets to machine, so there is some
>> problem with the SSA code we generate which is not getting caught by
>> the type checkers.
>
> I suggest you work through all the regressions before testing larger
> code like mllex.  That will make finding and fixing bugs easier.
>
> Are you compiling with "-type-check true"?  You should do that to make
> sure errors are caught as soon as possible.
>
> Could you send the generated SSA (from -keep ssa)?  Please compile
> with "-show-types true" so we can see all the types.

I put up the passes for mllex ssaSimplify and after at
might.net/~dharvey/mllex.ssaSimplify.ssa et cetera.

> The "no gotoInfo property" indicates that CommandLine_commandName is
> being used as the destination of a goto, i.e. as a code label.  That
> certainly sounds like things are hopelessly confused.  I'm surprised
> that things are passing the SSA type checker.  If we can see the SSA
> it should be pretty easy to figure out what's wrong.  In fact, if you
> look for CommandLine_commandName in the SSA you might be able to
> figure it out yourself.

This doesn't seem to be the case, the only occurence of
CommandLine_commandName I see is something like
varname: word32 = CommandLine_commandName ()

> Finally, since it sounds like you guys are doing major hacking, would
> it be helpful to work on your own branch in the MLton SVN repository
> (assuming you're willing to put your stuff under the MLton license)?
> That might help communication, as well as get more eyes looking at
> your stuff.

I think we're going to hold off on that right now. The code is not very
clean, and we don't have a lot of time left in the Summer.