[MLton] MinGW runtime troubles

Vesa Karvonen vesa.karvonen at cs.helsinki.fi
Tue Nov 21 09:55:47 PST 2006

Continuing my attempt to build a snapshot of MLton on MinGW I noticed that
recent MinGW runtime, at least version 3.11, already defines the

   timezone

struct and the

   gettimeofday

function.  I naively tried to compile MLton under the 3.11 runtime by
simply commenting out the definitions from the Mlton source, but ultimately
the compile failed.  I think that the failure occured while running the
compiled (I presume) mlton-compile.exe, which returned an error code of 128.
I don't recall seeing an error message.  Sorry, I don't have the logs for
this compile anymore.  Someone with more exprience with MinGW might want
to try to compile on some recent runtime that includes timezone and
gettimeofday.

Anyway, I then switched to an older MinGW runtime (version 3.9), which
doesn't contain timezone or gettimeofday, and the build finally succeeded.

(BTW, this wasn't on the poor 512MB machine I used earlier.)

I then ran the regressions and they seemed to pass except for some problems
in the scripts.  For example, line 194 of the bin/regression script

                                /c/cygwin/bin/sed 's/$/\r/' <"$f.ok" >"$compare"

fails on the machine as it only has MSYS and no cygwin.  I replaced the line
with

                                sed $'s/$/\r/' <"$f.ok" >"$compare"

which allowed the regressions to run (note the first $).  Also, after "testing
zern", the script failed complaining that there is no file by the name

   <the-mlton-src-dir>/benchmark/bin/host-os

This is probably a problem in some script, but I haven't investigated this
further.

-Vesa Karvonen