[MLton] Summer of Code 2008

Adam Goode adam at spicenitz.org
Sat Dec 8 22:38:03 PST 2007

Hi all,

I think it would be great if MLton could participate in the Google
Summer of Code 2008.

If you're not familiar with it, basically Google pays students to work
on open source projects for the summer. There is a system of mentor
organizations, mentors, evaluations of the students, etc. For each fully
completed project, Google pays the student 4500 USD and the mentoring
organization 500 USD.

For MLton to participate, we will need to come up with a good list of
summer projects. This is a good start: http://mlton.org/Projects but
probably a little work would make it better. An example of a very good
project page is here: http://www.mono-project.com/StudentProjects

The more interesting projects, the better, since each organization
starts with only a small number of allocatable project slots. If many
students are interested in an organization's projects, that organization
is rewarded with more slots.

Info about mentoring organizations:
http://code.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=10732

General info:
http://code.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=10442

I think it would be a great way to grow the MLton community, increase
knowledge of SML, and improve the feature set of MLton.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Adam