[MLton] Patch: @MLton dumpable-core

Matthew Fluet fluet at tti-c.org
Sun Dec 16 17:24:26 PST 2007

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007, Vesa Karvonen wrote:
> On Dec 16, 2007 9:02 AM, Wesley W. Terpstra <wesley at terpstra.ca> wrote:
> [...]
>> Any reason? I admit it's not so nice for end-users to see these hints,
>> but it could help developers.
>
> I'm pretty sure any developer smart enough to use MLton ;-), already
> knows about the 64-bit port and understands he can use a 64-bit
> machine to allow more memory to be used.

Right.

Also, the messages weren't quite correct.  'resizeHeap' can be called
after any major GC; either a Cheney-copy GC or a mark-compact GC.  It is
not the case that "Out of memory" would occur while trying to allocate a
second semi-space before a Cheney-copy GC.  Indeed, the "Out of memory"
messages would likely only occur when more than 2GB is live.

In any case, I would reduce the messages to just a brief mention of
'may-page-heap' in the !mayPageHeap branch.