[MLton] Windows port of MLton using the Microsoft tools (e.g.without MinGW)

skaller skaller at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jul 26 09:40:24 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 18:19 +0200, Nicolas Bertolotti wrote:
> > > luck to them! I will still use the MinGW port, though, because that
> > > compiler is free and is less effort when I port from unix.
> >
> > MS also supplies a free compiler ..  Visual Studio Express
> > including compilers is free to download!
>
> Available for free does not mean "free" ...

"free" as in "GPL" doesn't mean free either.

VS Express can't be redistributed, however the SDK DLLs
you need to build working products quite specifically
CAN be redistributed, and this is much 'freer' in all
senses of the word than GNU software.

True, the code is not 'open source', but that is a different,
though related, issue: GPL was in fact designed specifically
NOT to be free at all, rather it was designed to enforce
open-ness at the expense of real freedom. Were it genuinely
free, it wouldn't be able to enforce the open-ness..

[We're talking 'free' as in 'right to use' rather than
free as in 'not costing money']