[MLton] Experimental 64-bit binary package (& SVN sources)

skaller skaller at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Mar 2 17:36:18 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 16:34 -0600, Matthew Fluet wrote:
> skaller wrote:

> The following
>    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AutomatedProblemReports
> seems to suggest that Ubuntu installs a SIGFPE handler.
>
> Does the following program trigger a "Floating point exception":

Nope.

Felix (which gens C++) does:

a := 1.0/0.0;
b := -1.0/0.0;
print a; endl;
print b; endl;
print$ a+b; endl;

output:

inf
-inf
nan

> If so, then I'm not sure what to suggest.  MLton (purposefully) does
> computations like the above to generate the values "+inf", "-inf", and
> "nan".

There is a C function to turn choose between signalling
and quiet Nans.

> Not much help from the strace:
> mmap(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1,
0) = 0x2aaaab0ba000
> --- SIGFPE (Floating point exception) @ 0 (0) ---
> +++ killed by SIGFPE +++

That @ 0(0) looks suspicious ..?

FPE is synchronous, so that must be the address causing
the fault?