[MLton] -target command-line option

Timothy Bourke timbob at bigpond.com
Sun Apr 27 22:44:01 PDT 2008

I was able to cross-compile to MinGW on FreeBSD over the weekend
(using wine, rather than ssh, to run the intermediate executables).

The support for this within MLton is excellent.

I found, however, that running:

    mlton -target mingw32

does not work on my laptop because the native gcc is 3.4.6, while that
of the mingw32-gcc port is 4.2.1. I tried specifying the -V option:

    mlton -target mingw32 -cc-opt -V4.2.1

but the -V4.2.1 is not passed early enough (relative to the other
options) for gcc.

Specifying both target and compiler does work:

    mlton -target mingw32 -cc mingw32-gcc

but with warnings:

    unrecognized option '-b'

These are innocuous, but I wondered whether it would be worthwhile to
extend the -target option so that if its argument ends in a hyphen, like:

    mlton -target mingw32-

MLton would:
    1) set the target to mingw32
    2) set cc to mingw32-gcc
    3) _not_ add the -b argument

If this idea finds any support I will attempt a patch. If not, I can
live with the warnings!

Tim.