[MLton] -target command-line option

Matthew Fluet fluet at tti-c.org
Tue Apr 29 07:57:03 PDT 2008

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Timothy Bourke wrote:
> I was able to cross-compile to MinGW on FreeBSD over the weekend
> (using wine, rather than ssh, to run the intermediate executables).
>
> The support for this within MLton is excellent.

Glad to hear that it is a useful feature.

> These are innocuous, but I wondered whether it would be worthwhile to
> extend the -target option so that if its argument ends in a hyphen, like:
>
>    mlton -target mingw32-
>
> MLton would:
>    1) set the target to mingw32
>    2) set cc to mingw32-gcc
>    3) _not_ add the -b argument
>
> If this idea finds any support I will attempt a patch. If not, I can
> live with the warnings!

Actually, you've been beaten to the punch:
   http://mlton.org/cgi-bin/viewsvn.cgi?rev=6403&view=rev

Wesley Terpstra noted similar issues with invoking the mingw cross
compiler.  Recent gcc manual pages have recommended directly invoking
<target>-gcc, rather than using gcc -b <target>.