[MLton] MLTONVERSION for non-release builds

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley at terpstra.ca
Sun Aug 24 07:52:18 PDT 2008

I have many different MLton toolchains on different platforms and machines.
It is often confusing to me which build has which patches applied,
especially when I come back to a computer after some time away. Release
versions of MLton include a release date as their version information.
Builds from svn/HEAD though just report MLTONVERSION. Since I imagine most
of the MLton developers work exclusively with svn builds and not release
builds, I think it would be helpful if we included the svn revision number
the compiler was built from. eg:
$ mlton
MLton r6673 (built Sun Aug 24 05:10:14 2008 on carrot)

I know that this information comes from control-flags.sml. There is a
subversion tag "$Rev$" which gets replaced with the file version, but what
we really want is the revision of the tree's root. Does anyone know the
relevant subverison magic? Also, will this break whatever script creates
MLton releases? (ie: does it look for MLTONVERSION)