[MLton] Summer of Code 2008

Matthew Fluet fluet at tti-c.org
Tue Mar 4 01:54:40 PST 2008

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, Adam Goode wrote:
> Matthew Fluet wrote:
>> On Sun, 9 Dec 2007, Adam Goode wrote:
>>> I think it would be great if MLton could participate in the Google
>>> Summer of Code 2008.
>>
>> It's a nice idea.
>>
>>> For MLton to participate, we will need to come up with a good list of
>>> summer projects.
>>
>> We would also need to come up with a list of potential project mentors.
>> I don't think it would be good for a single individual to try to mentor
>> mentor more than one project.  Not that I think that there would be a
>> huge number of student projects, but a number of projects from the
>> mlton.org/Projects page would require some significant coaching in the
>> early stages.

I looked at the Summer of Code organization application
(http://code.google.com/soc/2008/org_signup.html).  They ask, upfront, for
an organization administrator, a backup organization administrator, and a
list of mentors.

If you are interested in serving in one of those roles, please speak up.
In the absence of a critical mass (I'd say at least 5 people), I don't
think it would be worth applying.

Similarly, it would be good to hear from any students who would be
interested in applying.  Again, in the absence of some expected
participation (since I think it highly unlikely to attract students who
aren't already familiar with MLton/SML), I don't think it is worth the
effort of applying.