[MLton] A few changes proposals for MLton

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley at terpstra.ca
Fri Nov 14 17:25:57 PST 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 12:58 AM, Matthew Fluet <fluet at tti-c.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Nicolas Bertolotti wrote:
>
>> *   03-windows-versions.patch
>>   *   This patch extends the setSysname() function that is used in
>>     order to generate the "uname" string on MinGW. It makes it possible
>>     to detect whether we are running Windows XP x64, Vista, Vista 64,
>>     2003 or 2008.

Clearly an improvement. Should be committed.

> *   04-windows-paths.patch
>>   *   This patch is highly related to the request Dan DuVarney has
>>     submitted today about OS.Path. It provides support for UNC paths
>>     (\\foo\bar\...) and handles paths like "\foo" as absolute paths
>>     without a volume specification.

Let's wait to hear what happens in the sml-basis thread. You should bring up
having UNC volumes as that is currently forbidden by the definition.

> *   05-windows-exit.patch
>>   *   This patch adds support for Posix.Process.exit() on MinGW. I
>>     guess it has been deactivated on purpose but I don't know why and I
>>     have not experienced any issue with it.

To be honest, I have no idea why it's disabled either. I was even more
mystified when I found that it was added in r3662 which was supposedly a
commit on my behalf. I tracked down the email that included the patch I
sent. <http://terpstra.ca/lurker/message/20041202.044539.0cb22ee4.en.html>
... but the changes to stub-mingw.sml are nowhere to be seen.

Now would be a good time for Stephen to speak up about where this came from!
:-)

I don't really see any reason NOT to re-enable it, but as neither of us know
why it was disabled in the first place... :-/