[MLton] Library support mostly complete

Vesa Karvonen vesa.a.j.k at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 23:47:03 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 11:28 PM, Wesley W. Terpstra <wesley at terpstra.ca> wrote:
[...new library support...]
> I've written some prototype documentation on mlton.org/LibrarySupport.
> Where else should it be documented? What else needs to be covered?

I took a brief look at the documentation and it seemed fine to me.
One thing that might further help would be to include a full example
including build files (MLBs, Makefile/build script --- not just the C
and MLton code snippets) so that one can see an example usage of the
commands (options) required to compile and link libraries and see what
files are produced as a result (this would be most useful for newbie
and casual MLton users).

FYI, I've been meaning to try out the new library support for some
time now, but I've been too busy.  I've been thinking about trying to
build a SML utility library (based on pickling) that would allow one
to call arbitrary SML functions (including higher-order and possibly
polymorphic functions, but with explicit typing) defined in a
separately compiled MLton library.

-Vesa Karvonen