[MLton] Replacing Subversion with a DVCS

Ville Laurikari ville at laurikari.net
Tue Apr 14 09:51:08 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 05:23:09PM +0200, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Ville Laurikari <ville at laurikari.net> wrote:
> > It seems to me that the MLton project would benefit from a distributed
> > version control system.
>
> I don't think it's so important. MLton development is pretty slow at
> the moment and at least I've had no problems with using subversion.

I wouldn't have asked if I didn't have any problems with using
Subversion.  Accessing mlton.org from some machines at work is quite
cumbersome.  Either I had to spend time setting up ssh tunnels to
access mlton.org or work without version control.

Luckily, I've recently discovered git-svn which solves this problem
for me.

> Don't fix it if it ain't broke?

Depends on what constitutes "broken" and how much an improvement
costs :)

Subversion is bad enough that I would argue that switching to
something better might make sense even for a one-foot-in-the-grave
project such as MLton.

Anyway, this was just a probe to see if there's any interest in this
sort of thing.  There appears to be none, so never mind...

--
http://laurikari.net/ville/