[MLton] Windows 7 x64 vs MLton r7999

Matthew Fluet fluet at tti-c.org
Mon Jul 6 15:09:20 PDT 2009

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> * A self-compile of MLton trips over the use of "mlton -stop f" in
> mlton/Makefile to determine dependencies. The problem is that this
> (correctly) includes paths like c:/program files
> (x86)/mlton/lib/mlton/sml/basis/build/sources.mlb. GNU make cannot handle
> paths with spaces in their names. I imagine this is also a problem with
> Windows XP, but I have a German WinXP so it is called
> "C:/Programme/MLton/..." which doesn't trigger this problem. One solution
> might be to make a -stop f that doesn't include anything pulled from
> $(SML_LIB). This corresponds to the gcc "-MM" option which is actually what
> we want in the context where -stop f is used in the Makefile. Another option
> would be to simply remove the -stop f from mlton/Makefile (I did this to get
> the build done, and it worked after removing the offending line).
> Suggestions?

This issue of paths with spaces would appear to affect all platforms,
where one might install MLton at a location with spaces in the path.
(MinGW is the only platform where by default the install location is a
path with spaces).

Does piping the output of mlton -stop f through sed to escape spaces
suffice on MinGW?  It seems to on other platforms.  However, there are a
number of different uses of 'mlton -stop f' in the mlton/Makefile, and it
isn't quite as simple as using a Makefile function to abstract the piping
through sed.  An auxilary script in <src>/bin might suffice.