[MLton] Windows 7 x64 vs MLton r7999

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley at terpstra.ca
Mon Jul 6 16:09:48 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 12:09 AM, Matthew Fluet <fluet at tti-c.org> wrote:

> This issue of paths with spaces would appear to affect all platforms, where
> one might install MLton at a location with spaces in the path. (MinGW is the
> only platform where by default the install location is a path with spaces).

The problem is GNU make.

> Does piping the output of mlton -stop f through sed to escape spaces
> suffice on MinGW?  It seems to on other platforms.  However, there are a
> number of different uses of 'mlton -stop f' in the mlton/Makefile, and it
> isn't quite as simple as using a Makefile function to abstract the piping
> through sed.  An auxilary script in <src>/bin might suffice.

Changing to:
    $(shell if [ -r $(FILE) ]; then mlton -stop f $(FILE) | sed 's/ /\\ /';
fi)
did indeed work! I didn't think make supported backslash escapes. It doesn't
supports "s.

Aren't the two platforms appearing as amd64-mingw and x86-mingw?  You should
> be able to add appropriate platform specific regression .ok files for the
> different platforms.

If I modify bin/platform to report amd64, the regressions run clean. The
problem is that 'uname -m' reports i686 on both win32 and win64. I don't
think there is a good way to tell the difference since msys/uname are 32-bit
apps in both cases.