[MLton] In hope of a release ...

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley at terpstra.ca
Wed Oct 14 15:47:24 PDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 11:57 PM, Matthew Fluet <matthew.fluet at gmail.com>wrote:

> It is fortunate that the ports have been going so smoothly.  I would
> have cautioned against it ... introducing new, and mostly untested,
> platforms shortly before a release is not a recipe for stability.

Well, I'd argue that porting an otherwise portable project to new platforms
usually helps turn up hidden bugs that can bite you later. Those two
alignment issues, for example. There's also a segfault on kfreebsd-amd64,
which I'll wager also stems from an actual bug in MLton (supposing I can
find it).

Of the remaining debian targets:
  mips(el) -- known to work because I've cross-compiled it to build embedded
stuff for ages, but no porter machine is available with debian that I can
bootstrap it on. hoping to find someone to loan me shell access.
  arm/m68k -- insufficient memory, so not included
  hurd-i386 -- adding hurd support would require actual new code, so no
sense trying to get this in

There are a few other items that I would like to finish before
> releasing.  One is the performance bugs identified by Reactive
> Systems.

If it's reproducible I can take a whack at it. Which issue is this? link?

> Another is a regression failure with signals on Mac OS X
> 10.5 (Leopard), which I believe is due to a broken sigaltstack, but
> have had difficulty isolating.

What's the failure mode?