[MLton] Re: In hope of a release ...

Adam Goode adam at spicenitz.org
Thu Oct 22 18:46:41 PDT 2009

On 10/21/2009 08:51 PM, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Wesley W. Terpstra <wesley at terpstra.ca> wrote:
>> To that end I'm going to start pushing svn builds of MLton to
>> debian/experimental and try to get it built on more of the debian
>> architectures.
>
> I'm done. The status and build logs (including regressions) can be found at:
> https://buildd.debian.org/~luk/status/package.php?p=mlton
>
> The only architecture MLton isn't working on is arm[el]. These systems
> haven't enough memory and their floating point isn't rounded by a
> control word, so I don't see MLton in their future.

Hmm, the Fedora builders (running on Marvell hardware) definitely have
enough memory (1GHz machines, 2GB RAM). I agree about the floating point
though, I put a patch into MLton to throw an exception if setting the
rounding mode is not available, but due to limitations in glibc on some
ARM hardware, this can silently fail to set. But it was definitely fun
getting it to build:

http://arm.koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=12752

And only a factor of 5 slowdown in build time!

Adam