[MLton] Re: In hope of a release ...

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley at terpstra.ca
Thu Oct 22 19:11:48 PDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 3:46 AM, Adam Goode <adam at spicenitz.org> wrote:
>> The only architecture MLton isn't working on is arm[el]. These systems
>> haven't enough memory and their floating point isn't rounded by a
>> control word, so I don't see MLton in their future.
>
> Hmm, the Fedora builders (running on Marvell hardware) definitely have
> enough memory (1GHz machines, 2GB RAM).

The debian arm buildd have 512MB. If they had 1GB I would've probably
ported it to them anyway. ;)

> I put a patch into MLton to throw an exception if setting the
> rounding mode is not available, but due to limitations in glibc on some
> ARM hardware, this can silently fail to set.

I was under the impression that arm assembler instructions embedded
the rounding mode into their opcode. ie: mul_round_to_zero %r0,4. Are
you saying some arm processors have 'normal' IEEE operations that
consult a control word?

Why didn't you submit the patches needed by your port for inclusion?

> http://arm.koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=12752

How many archs does fedora have buildds for?