[MLton] svn/HEAD has regressions

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley at terpstra.ca
Tue May 4 10:23:24 PDT 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 5:50 PM, Matthew Fluet <matthew.fluet at gmail.com>wrote:

> I think that we've gone back and forth with respect to the
> optimization level on libgdtoa.a. Dropping back to -O1 would be fine.

No need. I found the problem. It was (as always) an aliasing problem.

It seems gcc is now even more anal about squeezing as much performance as
possible under strict C99 aliasing rules. Unions are no longer a safe haven.

> It would probably also be worth checking the regressions with
> '-codegen c', to see if there are any other problems with gcc 4.4.3-9.
>  We do some casts from/to double/float to/from uint64_t/uint32_t (via
> a memcpy, which is supposed to be kosher with respect to the C
> aliasing rules).

It should be fine. However, when I do a debian upload, you'll have a full
regression suite run on every architecture (most of which use the C
codegen).