[MLton-user] The SML basis library socket module

Chris Clearwater chris@sharkzone.com
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 01:03:36 -0400

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 12:53:38PM -0700, Stephen Weeks wrote:
> Yes.  The basis library changes are documented at
>
> 	http://sml.sourceforge.net/Basis/history.html
>
> The change that you are seeing occurred on September 15, 2003.  We
> have already made the update to our internal version of MLton, and it
> will go out with our next release, which is a ways off.  If you want
> to be bleeding edge, you can build MLton from the CVS, or you can ask
> me to put an experimental release at
>
> 	http://www.mlton.org/experimental/
>
> Please specify the platform if you do.

It's great to hear MLton is so actively developed! It also seems the
SML/NJ CVS repository is updated as well.

> Yes.  That is what I believe most people do.  It is certainly what we
> do with MLton.  We also have stubs for making the basis library in the
> version of SML/NJ we are using look more like MLton.  See
>
> 	http://cvs.mlton.org/viewcvs.py/mlton/mlton/lib/mlton-stubs-in-smlnj/
>
> Unfortunately, these aren't part of our released packages, but you
> still may find them useful.

You mean the different basis library implementations are not
interchangable across the various SML compilers? Isn't interchangability
exactly the point of having a standard basis specification? Or maybe you
are refering to the Mlton and Smlnj structures?