[MLton-user] Re: MLton and Cygwin installation

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 10:38:56 -0500 (EST)

> You're right - I'm having a bit of trouble getting MLton going.  I
> extracted the archive at the root of my cygwin install (C:\cygwin\),
> fired up a Windows command prompt, switched to bash as I always do
> before trying to use a cygwin tool, and typed "mlton" at the prompt.

That sounds right.  I usually do the extraction from within bash:

cp mlton-20051202-1.i386-cygwin.tgz /
cd /
tar -xzpvf mlton-20051202-1.i386-cygwin.tgz

You might verify that whatever tool you used to extract the .tgz actually
generated the right directory structure in the right place.  You should
find mlton installed at  /usr/bin/mlton.

> I got an "mlton: command not found" error.

That sounds like mlton wasn't dropped into the /usr/bin directory.

> I joined MLton-user and posted my plea for help this morning (it's
> nearly 11:30PM local, HK, time now).  I saw something on the MLton
> site about a whitelist for mailing lists, so it's possible that my
> email is beng held up in a queue until this email address is added to
> the whitelisted.

Probably.

> Have you used MLton within the context of cygwin?

Yes, and I've not had any problems with an install like the one I describe
above.

-Matthew