[MLton-user] SML unicode support

Franck Arnaud franck@nenie.org
06 Jan 2005 13:29:14 GMT

Stephen Weeks:

> No problem, that's exactly what we plan to do in implementing
> WideChar.

It would be nice for people -- if any ;-) -- who need unicode
to have a flag to widen char itself rather than have a separate
type. A separate type is unusable for programs where unicode
is pervasive as you don't want to write to 2 versions of every
function that takes a string (unless I'm mistaken and some
magic already allows a function that takes a string to also
accept a wide string).

If there's only WideChar available, it's only useful if you have
the odd opaque field which is unicode and most of your program
isn't. It's of some use, but someone who needs unicode
everywhere will not use such a language, as there are quite a
few languages with usable support.