[MLton-user] Slow GCC

Neal Glew neal at glew.name
Thu Dec 28 15:11:54 PST 2006

I'm using mlton to compiler a program.  Mlton takes about 30s to do
its thing, then gcc is started on the generated C and asm files, but
gcc starts swapping like mad and mlton times out on it.  I'm using the
20051202 cygwin build on a Pentium M 1.6ghz with 1gb of ram.  The
generated files are one C file of 5kloc and 10 asm files of 20-27kloc
and two outliers of 51k and 8k resp.  Any suggestions?  Is there
anyway to get gcc to used a fixed amount of memory?  Would it help to
generate smaller files, is this possible?

Neal