[MLton-user] where to next?

Stephen Weeks sweeks@sweeks.com
Mon, 3 Jul 2006 15:59:33 -0700

> Or another way to phrase the question, after the 64 bit port, where
> to next?

My list of the top four things that would most help current MLton
users and would attract the most new MLton users:

 * Interpreter and byte-code compiler for fast development.

     This would eliminate the need for MLton users to install and use
     another SML compiler, which can be a pain.  Plus, the ability to
     easily embed an SML interpreter would offer some interesting
     possibilities.

 * Support for multi-core.

     This would give MLton something that OCaml doesn't have (and
     Haskell does) and would be an attraction to early adopters
     looking for effective ways to program such machines.

 * Library infrastructure.

     More libraries, better documentation for them, and an
     internet-based infrastructure for community library development
     and usage.

 * Debugger.

Not that I currently have the time or plans to work on these.  But I
think any one would have a big impact.