[MLton-user] Is mlton free software?

Bartlomiej Szymczak rhywek at gmail.com
Tue May 15 12:02:36 PDT 2007

Hi, all.

I have found the following in list archive:

>I am pleased to announce that, as of today, the MLton project is
>officially available under a BSD-style license. For a copy of the
>license, see
>
>http://mlton.org/License
>
>Finally, because we worked for so long under the GPL, it is possible
>that some GPL'd code slipped into the project. We've done a careful
>review and don't think there is any problem. But if there is, please
>let us know and we will remove the offending code or get the
>contributor's approval for the new license.

I have read the license and it seems to me that it has a big flaw. If
somebody wants to, they can just take MLton code, change it and
distribute without the source code. They could even change the license
to a different one. This way the software is non-free (using FSF's
definition of freedom).

Is my understanding correct? Is MLton non-free software?

Best regards,
--
Bartlomiej Szymczak