[MLton-user] mlton script typo

Matthew Fluet fluet at tti-c.org
Fri Oct 12 20:17:17 PDT 2007

> To follow up on Leaf, we had a number of problems installing the new
> mlton prebuilt for cygwin.

Sorry about the trouble.  Seems that no developers regularly use Cygwin,
and we didn't get any testing when we had experimental versions up.

> Our virus checker complained about a virus
> in one of the cm files.

Weird; they are all text files.

> It seemed to need to be unpacked in a
> different place (/usr vs /).

A patch shortly after the mlton-20051202 release changed the paths for the
Cygwin package.
   http://mlton.org/cgi-bin/viewsvn.cgi?rev=4288&view=rev
This was in response to some installation problems raised by a user of the
mlton-20051202 release.
   http://mlton.org/pipermail/mlton-user/2005-December/000739.html

In any event, it seems that most default Cygwin installations mount
C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin, C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib, and C:\cygwin on /,
so you should be able to unpack the archive at / (and you will see the
binaries and libraries in /usr/{bin,lib}).

> We also seemed to need several new
> libraries installed in cygwin that we didn't have previously.

What libraries?