[MLton-user] OS.Path

Dan DuVarney duvarney at reactive-systems.com
Thu Nov 13 18:37:42 PST 2008

Hello again:

This message isn't going to be attached to the ongoing "path" thread,
but I am still waiting for the digest to arrive and wanted to follow up
on what I said earlier.

First, forget what I said about absolute paths being treated as if they
were relative. I was confused when I wrote that.

Second, the source of my confusion was that, when I read the
specification for the OS.Path, I failed to notice the requirement that
validVolume { isAbs = true, vol = "" } should return false under
Windows. This requirement leads to the other behavior I described, such
as OS.Path.toString (OS.Path.fromString "\\usr\\local") raising an
exception.

Once again, MLton's behavior is correct. It is SML/NJ which is not
complying with the standard. I added this issue to the
StandardMLDeviations wiki page.

-Dan

--
Dan DuVarney
Senior Software Engineer         Reactive Systems Inc.