[MLton-user] Re: MLton OS.Path under Windows [MLton-user Digest, Vol 27, Issue 6]

John Reppy jhr at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Nov 14 01:01:11 PST 2008

Looking at the OS.Path specification, there is clearly an
inconsistency in the definition of
absolute paths on Windows.  The confusion arises because Windows has
the notion of a path
that is absolute relative to the current volume (but not strictly
absolute, since changing
the volume changes its meaning).  I'm not sure what the correct fix
is.  The path of least
resistance might be to change the specification of toString to read

	The exception Path is raised if vol <> "" and validVolume{isAbs, vol}
is false.

Alternatively, we could redefine the notion of absolute path on
Windows to require a
valid volume.

	- John