[Sml-basis-discuss] [MLton-user] Re: MLton OS.Path under Windows [MLton-user Digest, Vol 27, Issue 6]

Andreas Rossberg rossberg at mpi-sws.mpg.de
Fri Nov 14 07:15:05 PST 2008

On Nov 14, 2008, at 16.00h, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:

> In my opinion, no. The path \bar is not absolute in any useful sense,
> only in the sense that this is the definition in the basis
> specification.

Note again that, if you considered "\bar" as relative, then there
would be no way to distinguish the paths "bar" and "\bar" in the
triple representation - they would both map to {isAbs=false, vol="",
arc=["bar']}.

I think the fallacy here is assuming that the isAbs flag has any
semantic meaning. No, it is a purely syntactic piece of information
about the presence of the root separator. Once you realise that, the
spec makes sense (up to validVolume). Maybe another choice of name
would have been better, though.

- Andreas