[MLton-user] Re: MLton OS.Path under Windows [MLton-user Digest, Vol 27, Issue 6]

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley at terpstra.ca
Fri Nov 14 07:00:57 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Henry Cejtin
<henry.cejtin at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I.e., the question is does it ever make sense to treat paths which start with
> a \ but have no volume any differently than paths that do not start with a \.

In my opinion, no. The path \bar is not absolute in any useful sense,
only in the sense that this is the definition in the basis
specification. However, as Andreas points out, changing this could
impact on existing SML code for windows.

Andreas Rossberg wrote:
> I think the simpler and more coherent fix is to simply change
> validVolume to allow empty volumes unconditionally on Windows.

This seems the appropriate stop-gap measure to me as well.