[MLton-user] Using MinGW version of MLton on Vista

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley at terpstra.ca
Fri Sep 5 05:45:38 PDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 11:27 AM, John Reppy <t-johrep at microsoft.com> wrote:

> I've installed the 20070826 MinGW version of MLton (statically linked), but
> when I
> Run it from a MSYS bash shell, it immediately dumps core
>
> $ /c/mingw/bin/mlton
>      0 [main] bash 4476 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
> bash.exe.stackdump
>
> Is this a known problem?  Should I be using a different version of MLton?

I don't know of anyone who has tried MLton/MinGW on Vista yet. Tom Murphy
reported problems using MLton/cygwin on Vista, but I don't know if this was
ever resolved. You could >try< a newer MLton, for example the msi installer
on mlton.org/Experimental, but I doubt it will work either.

I would be happy to look into this for you, as it seems I am currently the
MinGW port maintainer. :-) However, as I don't have Vista, it would be very
slow going. I would suggest using a non-Vista machine to build a debug
version of hello-world (compiled with -g and linked to the -dbg libraries).
Then, run that hello world in gdb and report back to us the stack trace.

Or, convince your employers to buy a MLton developer a copy of Vista.