[MLton-user] Using MinGW version of MLton on Vista

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley at terpstra.ca
Fri Sep 5 07:09:46 PDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 3:38 PM, John Reppy <t-johrep at microsoft.com> wrote:

>  Thanks for the pointer.  The r6811 msi version works better for me,
> although it installs its own copy of MSYS and MinGW, which seems strange.

The idea is to make MLton easy for Joe-average windows user. Bundling a
known-good mingw with MLton means the user doesn't have anything else to
setup (MinGW isn't a very easy install) and we avoid problems where mingw
changes something mlton depends on (this has happened in the past).

> The problem that I'm hitting now is that MLton is reporting a syntax error
> on a mlb file (the file in question has been used successfully on both Linux
> and Mac OS X systems).

If what Brian suggested already doens't help, I notice there are two changes
to the mlb lexer made on November 22, 2007 (r6195 and r6196). That MSI
installer gave you a bleeding edge MLton. You may be affected by still other
changes made since the 20070826 release.