[MLton-user] Using MinGW version of MLton on Vista

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley at terpstra.ca
Fri Sep 5 07:42:17 PDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 4:16 PM, John Reppy <t-johrep at microsoft.com> wrote:

> Unix doesn't have an EOF character (and I did an od to check that there
> wasn't anything funny at the end of the file; just a newline).  Regular
> sml files created with a Unix editor (vi) go through MLton w/o problems.
>
> The problem appears to be related to my pathmap, which is pretty simple:
>
>        $ cat /c/Users/t-johrep/Work/sml3d/src/sml3d-path-map
>        SMLXD_LIB /c/Users/t-johrep/Work/sml3d/src
>
> If I remove references to $(SMLXD_LIB) from my mlb file, then I don't get
> the parse error anymore.

You realize that the path "/c/foo/..." is a fiction? MLton is a native
windows program and expects paths like c:\foo\bar. When you run something
from the msys command line, it automatically translates /c/foo/bar into
c:\foo\bar. c:/foo/bar will work too, though.

Looking over the relevant code, I see (yet another) bug to do with spaces in
path names. So don't use c:/My Documents/foo in the mlb file either.