[MLton-user] Using MinGW version of MLton on Vista

John Reppy t-johrep at microsoft.com
Fri Sep 5 08:16:51 PDT 2008

From: Wesley W. Terpstra [mailto:wesley at terpstra.ca]
Sent: 05 September 2008 15:42
To: John Reppy
Cc: Brian P. O'Hanlon; mlton-user at mlton.org
Subject: Re: [MLton-user] Using MinGW version of MLton on Vista

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 4:16 PM, John Reppy <t-johrep at microsoft.com<mailto:t-johrep at microsoft.com>> wrote:
Unix doesn't have an EOF character (and I did an od to check that there
wasn't anything funny at the end of the file; just a newline).  Regular
sml files created with a Unix editor (vi) go through MLton w/o problems.

The problem appears to be related to my pathmap, which is pretty simple:

       $ cat /c/Users/t-johrep/Work/sml3d/src/sml3d-path-map
       SMLXD_LIB /c/Users/t-johrep/Work/sml3d/src

If I remove references to $(SMLXD_LIB) from my mlb file, then I don't get
the parse error anymore.

You realize that the path "/c/foo/..." is a fiction? MLton is a native windows program and expects paths like c:\foo\bar. When you run something from the msys command line, it automatically translates /c/foo/bar into c:\foo\bar. c:/foo/bar will work too, though.
I think that the problem is with the path in the pathmap file.  Switching to "c:\Users\..." got rid of the parse error.  By using `pwd -W` in my autoconf script, I'm able to get working pathnames.  Now I just need to figure out my linking errors with glut.
BTW: I was not able to get the latest version of mlton to build from svn using this version of mlton.  There are illegal characters in the generated C files.

-          John