[MLton-devel] strip bug on Debian causing MLton segfault

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:27:28 -0700

> What are you running Debian under, VMware

Yes, I am running Debian on VMware.  The underlying hardware is my
dual 1.6GHz P4.

I think a hardware or VMware problem is implausible.  But, it would be
great if you could set up a Debian machine to try and reproduce this
problem.  Anyone else have access to a Debian sarge machine we can
use?

> The only other kind of variation that could be going on (non-kernel,
> non-hardware) would be from the environment I guess, but I don't see any thing
> that would do that in your shell loop.

I first noticed the non-determinacy while running the regressions on
the same Debian machine, so I thought it might have something to do
with temp files.  But I shut of the regressions and saw the same
non-determinacy.

> At this point I would say that this last test makes it very unlikely that
> strip is really relevant.

I don't agree.  That kind of non-determinacy is very consistent with a
C memory error.

BTW, I tried running the strip 2.14.90.0.4 from my RedHat 9.0 machine
on my Debian machine and got the following errors.

/home/sweeks/strip: Symbol `bfd_abs_section' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
/home/sweeks/strip: Symbol `bfd_und_section' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
/home/sweeks/strip: Symbol `bfd_com_section' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
/home/sweeks/strip: stfS9zq6: Invalid operation
/home/sweeks/strip: stfS9zq6: Invalid operation