[MLton-devel] FFI real as float? Also a note to Anoq.

Anoq of the Sun anoq@HardcoreProcessing.com
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:30:11 +0300

Stephen Weeks wrote:
> Not right now.  We plan to support the Real32 structure and have
> implemented some of the infrastructure to do so, but it's not there
> yet.  My guess is that it's a couple of months off.  If it would be a
> sufficient stopgap, we might be able to roll together the following
> module in the interim.
>
> structure Real32:
>    sig
>       type real
>
>       val toLarge: real -> LargeReal.real
>       val fromLarge: IEEEReal.rounding_mode -> LargeReal.real -> real
>    end

Or maybe just (as I do in all my code):

structure Real32 = Real

:)

The CompatibilityLayer project of this page tries to smoothe out
some compiler differences between MLKit, MLton and SML/NJ
in general - but I haven't tried it with the latest MLton:
http://www.hardcoreprocessing.com/pro/smlcode/index.html

It also does this for Real32.

> > As an aside to Anoq, I'm looking forward to that MinGW port and also your
> > SDL library being updated!!

As for the SDL library... this is something I cannot promise any kind
of date for right now :(

It is "almost ready for a release" - but there are still
changes for my perfectionism that I would like to make, and I would
prefer not to get the "imperfect" version out in the big world ;)

At any rate, it will still not be a "complete" API - only adequate
for many uses (and a lot prettier than the current release).

> BTW, Anoq is on MLton-user (the list of MLton users) but not on
> MLton-devel (the list of developers and few others), so I've cc'ed him
> on this mail.

Thanks :)

Cheers
--