[MLton] mlnlffigen is awesome (was: bootstrap problem)

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley@terpstra.ca
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:45:13 +0200

On Aug 19, 2005, at 12:09 AM, Stephen Weeks wrote:
>> Another alternative would be to drop the implicit
>> ~/.mlton/mlb-path-map and only have the flag to include a file map.
>> A convenient convention is to have ~/.mlton/mlb-path-map and when
>> you want to use it, you point the flag there.
>
> I'm OK with this.  There is clearly no loss in power or difficulty
> upgrading since current calls to MLton can be emulated with
> -mlb-path-map $(HOME)/.mlton/mlb-path-map.

What is so terrible about a per-user config file?
It seems quite convenient to me...

I don't see how using only one variable solves the name conflict
problem either; the two projects will be subdirectories in the same
place. It seems very helpful to be able to install (as non-root)
packages into one's home directory without having to worry about
editing the basis file for dependent programs.

What am I missing?