[MLton] problem building from svn checkout

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 19:52:46 -0700

> > ../build/bin/mlton -stop f mlton.mlb
> >
> This indeed shows that unsafe is not reachable... it is not in the list
> generated by running the above command.

This is baffling.  Was there anything to stderr?  The MLB
"$(SML_LIB)/basis/unsafe.mlb" is referenced in
mlton/front-end/sources.mlb.  Either it should appear in an error
message indicating it can't be found, or, the files that it causes to
be included should appear.  If you look at
build/lib/sml/basis/unsafe.mlb, you will see a reference to structure
Unsafe, and tracing through the MLBs, I would expect to see the files

  build/lib/sml/basis/sml-nj/unsafe.sig
  build/lib/sml/basis/sml-nj/unsafe.sml

If those don't appear then there us no way Unsafe should be defined.

We need more to go on.  Can you please send the complete log of a
clean svn checkout and (failed) build, as well as the complete stdout
and stderr of the above command Matthew had you run.  Thanks.

> Also the MLton installed on our
> machines is MLton 20040227 (built Fri Feb 27 21:23:55 2004 on redhat71),
> ill ask our software guys to update it and see if that alleviates the
> problem.

I don't see how this could matter, since you are failing in the second
round bootstrap.