[MLton] question about bin/make-pdf-guide

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Mon, 29 May 2006 08:18:46 -0400 (EDT)

> I'm trying to package MLton for hopeful inclusion in Fedora Extras.
>  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/

That would be a nice place to have a binary package available.

> I have a question about the version number in the generated
> mlton-guide.pdf. It appears that the version number in that PDF file is
> unconditionally the date which the package was built, even when building
> an older version. This can be seen in current Debian builds that have
> occurred since the release of MLton (look at the guide in the Sparc
> package, for example).

Correct, the make-pdf-guide instantiates the version variable with the
current date.

> Would it be better if bin/make-pdf-guide took a version parameter? Then
> the guide would no longer have the potentially misleading statement: "It
> is up to date for MLton $version."

Sure.  Seems as though the simplest way to fix this would be to replace
the occurrences of '$version' in bin/make-pdf-guide with 'MLTONVERSION',
and add bin/make-pdf-guide to the list of files to have MLTONVERSION
instantiated in the 'version' target of the top-level Makefile.